I decided I would try my hand at designing some knitwear. Just for me…just for fun. But a sweater for an adult or even a child for that matter is a lot of work and would take a lot of time. So I decided to design for my American Girl doll and then I could make sweaters for my granddaughters’ dolls. Good plan, right?
At first I was going to make a cardigan. But in looking through books for ideas I decided on a fisherman’s sweater. I have a book called “Cables, Diamonds, Herringbone Secrets of Knitting Traditional Fishermen’s Sweaters”.
The book gave me all the information I needed to try to make a doll-sized traditional fishermen sweater. Plus lots of interesting information.
As I was reading I discovered “that during the herring season large numbers of fishermen from other coastal regions came into the ports and harbors from southern England, Scotland, and even from the Netherlands, where the tradition of specific fishermen’s sweaters is also deeply rooted. Along with the herring fleets came the gutters, more familiarly called “herring girls” or “fisher lasses”, who processed the landed fish.” So my sweater is named for the girls who also wore the traditional fishermen’s sweaters as they worked.
Here’s my fisher lass trying on her sweater in progress.
A close up of the “Fisher Lass Pattern”; the diamond and cable pattern on the front and back.
And this is the sleeve.
Here I’m working on the sleeve. There are even gusset increases and decreases under the arm.
Here is just the yoke part of the sweater so I could work out the decreases necessary for the shoulder strap. After I knit the shoulder strap I decided I didn’t like the way the front and back yokes looked where I decreased the stitches. So I ripped it out and redid it. Looks a lot better now. (This is the ‘before’ picture. Trust me–it’s better. I’ll put up another post when I finish the design.)
Knitting the shoulder strap and attaching the front and back is kind of a fiddly part:lots of dpns ssk and k2tog.
I’m having lots of fun. The pattern is a little fiddly managing several dpns at once on such a tiny project. But I’m having a great time and learning a lot! Today I tried a provisional cast on for the shoulder strap stitches at the neck. I think it will make picking up the neck ribbing stitches neater. (This, again, is a ‘before’ picture. I though of it last night while I was sleeping and tried it out this morning.) Fun! Learned something new!